Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Space Between

DAY: 279 CITY:47 Country:16
GRONINGEN, THE NETHERLANDS

groninger_cross

I visited the Groniger Museum today in the Northern Dutch city of Groningen. One of the architects of this building was the Frenchman Phillipe Stark.
Downstairs they had a display of sacred altar pieces in sliver and gold. The crucifix above really caught me with great detail in the metal work - all silver, very shiny. Hey - this is like a Homer Simpson review of art huh? Mmmmm shiny... silvery....crossey.
There was an amazing exhibit of sculpture by Marc Quinn, a well established, well collected contemporary artist from the UK.
Quinn is now famous for his marble sculptures of handicapped people, or more specifically, people born with birth defects. It's a geometrically and visual intense group of sculptures, and all together it's a very thought provoking exhibit.

Marc Quinn Sculpture
Here is a statue he did of super-model Kate Moss doing a yoga pose.
Followed by one of a pregnant women who lives with no arms and has tiny legs and feet.
Marc Quinn Sculpture

What is beauty? What is Women?
Is her ability to create life and mirror the divine what our culture worships? or is it her heroin induced runway waifness?
Visit his website when you have a moment.
And visit my Flickr page to see more of Quinn and more of the Groningen museum.
Quinn is the first artist I have found that explicitly remarks on the power of the moments "in-between". He made a self portrait out of 5 liters of his own blood - frozen into a mold of his face.
When is the blood no longer him? When it's in a syringe? In a beaker? Is it no longer really a part of him as soon as it leaves his body?
Frozen in a replica mold of his stern face it is a direct and visceral representation that asks - is this stuff a part of him any longer?
These in-between moments fascinate me.
Birth... the moment of birth...
He did a piece using the placenta and a clay sculpture of the same baby's face. The placenta is the part of the birth process that is not the baby and not the mother, it's in-between the two - both mother and child created it as a bridge. If you had to think of it as part of one of them, who would it end up with? It's odd to see it turned into the baby's sculpted form.
It's an awesome body of work and the whole idea of finding the powerful and magical moments that exist in-between is something I've been obsessed with for a several years - in my head, in my photos, certainly in my music.
That sacred moment between night and day, the sound of the piano before I let up on the sustain pedal after switching between two disharmonic keys - it's a cool sound. That micro-second of eternity just before orgasm, the strange other-world moment between being asleep and awake, that moment when the second glass of wine gives you the first tingle of a buzz, when spring delivers the first bloom, kills winter, and you first realize your getting more hours of sunshine in the day, when your and my lips almost touch, that buzzing energy between our lips before they connect. A dear friend wrote me recently and talked about her new passion - skydiving. Can you imagine the moment just before you jump out of the plane? These are the times and places where magic resides and we are transformed when we find ourselves fully in the moment. And now, just now, right here, is the end of this post.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

At 12:21 PM, Blogger Rik said...

I believe the asana is called Dwi Pada Sirsasana, if you were wondering...keep up the great posts.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Wyatt Sharpley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger John Paul Fine Foods said...

Jeff I remember you making a comment almost two years ago about the moment in between inhaling and exhaling, the realm of possibility. But now I ask 'Can you extend eternity by edging?' I love you and am glad you share your explorations

 
At 3:49 PM, Blogger Wyatt Sharpley said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 6:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought about relating your comments to the philosophies of Descartes, Bakhtin, Foucault or even Freud, but I think that Bart Simpson reveals some obvious truths.

That cross sure is silvery and shiney. Oooh, preeety!

Keep sharing! I love you insight!
Keith

 
At 10:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jeff,

I've just been through your site, you've posted quite a bit since I last logeged on. I love what you're doing and need to visit more often to put life back into perspective. The daily rat race and life in general can get you so busy, you forget to breathe, to see, to feel the wonders around you. Your thoughts are refreshing as I sit here at 1:40 AM trying to catch up on the workload. Ahhh - I'm breathing deep right now and have decided to just go to bed! One quick report from my peanut gallery...Jason (aka first mate) caught a 23" flounder that weighed 5.22 lbs. He's so proud as is his Daddy (aka Captain Tony). His birthday is on Sept 29th and he turns 6. He says he wants fishing gear. What a good little guy. They start school in one week and Allison plans to sing in the chorus. Me, I'm still a crazy over-achiever trying to keep everyone happy, but I'm having fun too! Tony still gets to take naps and makes the big bucks. Status quo here.

XOXO - be safe - Beth

 
At 3:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha, Jeff,
I'm so glad you're sharing your adventures & reactions. Moment's in-between...so many emotions can be illicited by those moments, eh? That's what makes you know you're living! Tanks for dat!
we'll talk soon, I hope!
malama,
Connie

 

Post a Comment

<< Home